Sunday, January 31, 2010

Power of the VOID: Part 2

I would name the story that we read "The Lottery" because that would create excitement and tension as the reader asks, 'What do you win in the lottery?' 'What is the lottery for?' and so on. It wouldn't reveal the nature of the lottery, but would reel the reader in through the vagueness of the title. Throughout the story, I had a premonition that this particular lottery wasn't the 'happy' kind, from the ominous feeling I got from parts of the story. Some of those parts were the anxiousness of the people, the talk of some villages abandoning this 'lottery', and Tessie being reluctant to admit that her family had the big black dot. I read a little ahead of the group so when I saw we would not read the end of the story, I was frustrated and curious to what would happen next. I kind of suspected we would have a paper or something to write a response or whatever, but I didn't count on waiting until 5pm to see the contents of the paper. I did follow the instructions, actually I opened it at about 5:30pm after almost forgetting about the paper. I had a bad feeling about the box as well as the dot, due to the anxiety and nervouness both could create. Also, the color black as symbolises something bad and ominous will happen. I was pretty excited as I read the paper, but my excitedness quickly turned into horror, as I figured out Tessie fate through it hints in the last two paraghaphs. I would say my predictions are partially correct, I thought that someone would have to leave the village forever, considered inhuman and an outcast or something. I think the author was very good at giving hints, but I just misread the hints into something else. This author leaves many voids in the story to catch our attention and reel us in to the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment